Another Journey

Our IVF journey ended in utter hopelessness. We lost the child we thought was guaranteed to us by going through In-Vitro Fertilization. It was our last hope of having children of our own.

At the time, Kyle was not ready to adopt so we simply went on with our lives. I went back to school and became a Registered Nurse. Kyle was extremely supportive. Once I received my license, we moved to the Atlanta area to start a new life together.

We've been here for a little over a year and a half. I started to notice some signs and symptoms of problems with my endometriosis. I finally went in to get checked out and had a decent scare. My Gynecologist thought I had developed ovarian cancer. She ran tests and had me come back in for a follow-up. Thankfully, all the labs came back negative so the likelihood of me having cancer is slim. However, the uterine fibroid I had somehow doubled in size after only 2 months. Knowing that I didn't want another surgery, my Gynecologist sent me to an Interventional Radiologist for a minimally invasive procedure to kill the fibroid: Uterine Fibroid Embolization. Yesterday I had the procedure done.

As part of the pre-operative process, they always draw labs. One of the labs drawn was an HCG level to check for pregnancy. I'm sitting in our pre-op room waiting to have the procedure done when the Nurse Practitioner came in and told me I was pregnant and couldn't have the procedure done. She thought she was giving me good news but it was bad news. While crying my eyes out, I told her that I had been bleeding for 3 days and that I never manage to carry a pregnancy past 5-6 weeks. I asked her to run the test again. Sure enough, the second HCG lab test came back negative.

This HCG pregnancy bomb has really upset me. I'd rather not know I was pregnant at all than to know I was and lost yet another baby.

The procedure went on as scheduled since I was no longer pregnant. It's been two days since the surgery and I'm still having a decent amount of pain. Surprisingly, I am not having the severe abdominal cramping the doctor said I would have. My pain is mostly low back and tailbone pain. It does require pain medication but not the Dilaudid they gave me.

Back to the cancer scare, we were told I'd have to have a total hysterectomy. That would mean our chances of having children of own was out of the question. While they didn't do the hysterectomy, our chances still remain slim to none as I never carry past 5-6 weeks. Because of this, Kyle told me to go ahead and look at starting the adoption process.

This led to our newest journey of becoming Adoptive Parents. We are extremely excited to start a family

Comments