IMPACT Foster/Adoption Training Graduation

Yesterday, we graduated from our IMPACT training course. It is a 24 hour course that is required by the state of GA in order to become a foster or adoptive parent resource for GA DFCS.



Throughout the course, we learned some pretty horrifying truths about what happens to so many children. Things I never thought and couldn't possibly have thought up on my own are being done to children. It's not just our teens either. One story was of a newborn infant, day one from the womb! I'm horrified and appalled at what people are capable of. Then I wonder how could a person like that be blessed with children in the first place when a couple like us struggle to start our own family. I have to remind myself that we live in a fallen world with fallen people. It is not God's will that these things happen.

While I cannot carry a child of my own in my womb, I can surely give the love I have to another child. I have so much love for children. Without adoption, and nieces & nephews, it would go to waste. Well, it will not go to waste.

Kyle and I spent some time last night looking over the list of children in GA available for adoption. We've inquired about a few.

One 14 year old girl who wants to be a surgical nurse when she grows up. Not only can I show her love but I can help her through nursing school!

One four sibling group that has been in the foster program for seven years, been adopted once and returned to the program through no fault of their own, and are all currently living in separate homes. My heart just hurts for this group. The false hope they had when they were first adopted and then only to be returned. Now they can't even see each other until their scheduled visits. (Ages 16, 14, 10, and 9)

Another sibling group of two: ages 13 and 11. They enjoy art, board games, outdoor games and activities, and video games.

Another 14 year old girl who wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up. She enjoys crocheting too. It which would be pretty cool to introduce her to my crochet-master sister, Grace.

While we may not adopt all of these children, we certainly want to learn more about them. They could one day be a part of our family. Of course, they'd have to choose us as well. The process requires a good fit and agreement from both sides.

We still have a little left in the process before getting approved to have children in our home. We still have to do our fingerprints and background check, health physical, and home study. The home study is a series of home visits where they will inspect our house and tell us the changes we need to make to ensure the safety of the children in DFCS custody. They will also interview us to find out what kind of people we are, our interests, and what we are looking for in children. Once the home study is finished, they can begin matching us with children.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers throughout this process.

Comments