Adoption Party & Septic System Update

This morning was our first adoption party. Kyle and I were pretty nervous the entire time. For the most part, we just went around and spoke with the case workers. Our goal was to get our names out there, pass out our family flyer, and see if anyone had a sibling group that could potentially be a match for us. We weren't comfortable speaking with the children. I guess we just didn't want any of them getting their hopes up. Plus, it just felt awkward. I'm sure if the children we have talked about were at the party we would have made more effort to speak to them.

[If you're interested in what they said we could and could not ask the children you can read the picture at the bottom.]

One cute ten year old boy immediately came up to us and said, "Hello Kyle! Hello Leah!" Then he ran outside to go get his picture taken. He was incredibly outgoing and energetic. I could definitely see us adopting him. He kind of reminds me of Kyle. We put him on our "interested" list.

One of the case workers asked us to have lunch with a ten year old girl there. She was pretty cute too! She was very talkative, not even a little bit shy. I think I was more shy than she was. Kyle didn't seem to make a connection with her even though he was asking a bunch of questions and keeping up with her in conversation. We didn't end up putting her name on our list. It kind of bums me out a bit because I overheard her tell her case worker she was interested in us. I just have a huge heart and it hurts seeing so many children without a family.

By the end of the event I was mentally and emotionally drained. We filled out the "Family Response Form", handed out the rest of our family flyers, and then headed out.

We decompressed a bit by going to REI and then to 8° Farenheit Ice Cream before coming home. If you've never been to 8° Farenheit Ice Cream I would definitely recommend it. They pour the cream onto a cold slab, mix your ingredients with it, and then roll it up. The rolls are placed in a bowl and then topped with three toppings of your choice. Super yummy and not too sweet.

After getting home we had the septic inspection people come out. Of course, the news is bad. We need a whole new system: tank and drain field. Our house is a 4 bedroom house so it requires a Class One System which is over twenty grand. First of all, where are we going to get that kind of money? Second, will this keep us from being able to adopt?

I'm exhausted, overwhelmed, and frustrated by the process and all of the delays. If we were able to have our own children we would not have to go through any of this. So many people have children but treat them like crap or worse. Here we are, a couple who desparately want children and would be great parents, having the worst time just trying to start a family. Make us jump through hoops to adopt children but let abusers and neglectful parents have as many as they want. I don't understand and I never will. I'm frustrated right now but I'll get over it. We are continuing in the process and will continue to do so until our family is complete. Pray for us!


Comments